Friday, March 21, 2008



The Children’s Book Fair in Spain is drawing near, and so on the request of the agent I have been trying to ready my book dummy, reworking the sketches in pencil rather than in Illustrator. Its pretty intense work and every day part of me thinks “there’s no way I’m going to finish!”. I keep pushing ahead because it would be a terrible opportunity to pass up.

I’m doing a full day of drawing everyday, but yesterday I found that before I left my studio I had to take a half an hour to just draw for the sake of drawing. Every now and then I see some art done in a particular medium and style that I really like, and then it sort of gets stuck in my head so that I have to try it. It’s rarely ever successful, but it does get me to try new things (and some art supplies that I bought but barely used). Invariably it leads to something else that I’m kind of happy with. So in this way I suppose I’m making my own art school.

0 comments: